Friday, July 17, 2009

Album of the Week: Cass McCombs - Catacombs



I unfortunately don’t have the time to write a full review for my album pick of the week, Cass McCombs’ Catacombs. Let me just say that this is a beautifully sprawling dedication to McComb’s wife that weaves between the folk sounds of Dylan and Cohen, and is comparable to Bill Callahan or the mellower moments of the Velvet Underground. My thoughts on this records are neatly compatible to this review supplied by the NME’s Martin Robinson: "You’re led into ‘Catacombs’ by the primitive lure of guitar, percussion and a seductively pure voice. But once in the darkness, hypnotized by the country swagger of ‘Dreams-Come-True-Girl’, McCombs then shines a light on some unexpected corners. ‘You Saved My Life’ sounds almost like The Human League; an atmospheric, deeply romantic pop gem. ‘My Sister, My Spouse’ is a midnight howl that’s like Lou Reed at his most grimly fearless, and perfectly melodic, while ‘Lionkiller Got Married’ sounds like late Joy Division. This is an album of long, mysterious love songs to get lost in for days – seek it out."


Listen To: Dreams Come True Girl, You Saved My Life, Lionkiller Got Married


RIYL: Bill Callahan, Leonard Cohen, acoustic Velvet Underground

No comments:

Post a Comment